It’s not today’s never-heard-of, most trendy spot, but you can’t put Italy off any longer. The end of this pandemic and its international travel restrictions will be over soon. Before 2020, I always thought money was my biggest travel barrier. But the pandemic and all the challenges of this past year have proven life can throw anything at you at any time unexpectedly in ways you never would have imagined. Travel enthusiasts have learned the hard way you can’t wait to go on the once-in-a-lifetime trip you’ve been dreaming about.
So, it’s no surprise wanderlust is at an all-time high. If you don’t have a travel plan, you need one now. Vacation searches and bookings are trending up and up – airlines are filling more seats and hotels are filling more beds globally.
How are you seizing this unprecedented, much-anticipated moment?
The time is now to reflect on this question and plan the holiday that’s at the top of your travel list.
If you don’t know the answer to that question yet, you’ve come to the right place for some inspiration and guidance on what that trip is and what it could look like. I would argue now is not the time to take a chance on that trendy, small-island-off-the-coast-of-a-country-where-no-one’s-been vacay. Now is the time to visit, or revisit, the BEST the world has to offer. We now know time and opportunity is limited – why waste it on anything but a life-changing experience next?
I know, I know. “I’ve been there already.” “But it’s not trending.” …. SO WHAT. Italy is one of the most beautiful and unique countries in the world and a top Europe destination. It has everything – history, culture, cities, villages, beaches, mountains, seas and lakes, delicious cuisine, fascinating people…
But because Italy has so much to offer, it can be difficult to determine where to go and what to do especially if you are a first-time visitor.
Italy Top Spots
Here are the top 5 areas to see during your Italian getaway, in no particular order:
- Rome: Incomparable Roma, the Eternal City and historic capital of Italy. Nothing compares to a Roman holiday. This ancient city is a life-changing trip. I can’t wait to go back again, again and again and live la dolce vita! Rome is in the middle of country and is where the main airport sits so it’s easy to get there and around Italy from this city. You want a few full days in Rome at a minimum. Trastevere was one of our favorite areas to explore in addition to all the historic landmarks like the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Vatican City nearby and more. Check out my Rome guide here.
- Venice: Venice is truly one-of-a-kind. It’s a must-see at least one time. Riding a gondola is a must-do. But it is touristy. It’s in northeast Italy so you’ll need to plan well to visit it and still get to other areas. Most people agree that you don’t need more than two days to experience enchanting Venice.
- Florence: This city is a masterpiece in art and architecture. And it’s in the beautiful Tuscany region of central Italy. The “David” and the Duomo are key highlights. To really experience this city, you need at least two days.
- Amalfi Coast and Pompeii: A coastline that will take your breath away. Along the southern coast of Italy and Mediterranean, the beautiful quaint towns of Amalfi are a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The landscape has everything: sun-soaked beaches, jungle cliffs, fishing villages, grand villas, lemon groves and terraced vineyards. And for its beauty and culture, this area has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Check out my Amalfi and Pompeii guide here.
- Cinque Terre: In northwest Italy sits this set of romantic seaside villages along the Italian Riviera. The views, hiking trails and vineyards are stunning. Also, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Prego! (You’re welcome). After this very challenging year, I hope you find joy and peace in your next adventure, and Italy is a guaranteed heart-stirring experience.
About the Author
April is a professional event and travel planner with 15+ years of experience. She’s lived in Chicago, England, Florida and Iowa, and has traveled to some of the most beautiful countries in the world – once-in-a-lifetime trips all planned by her: Ireland, Amsterdam, France, Portugal, Spain, Greece, Italy, Mexico and 40 of the 50 states including Hawaii. She loves planning as much as traveling, and can’t wait to help you with your next adventure!