The Florida Keys, a place many people have been to or dream of going and I can definitely see why. After landing in Fort Lauderdale, we made the four hour drive (yes, in a convertible) to the Southernmost Point of the Continental United States; Key West, Florida.
We checked into The Gates Hotel, a contemporary hotel that features a rum bar, amazing pool, and is pet friendly! Many people talk about Duval Street and I enjoyed experiencing it, but I would much rather be adventuring at the Dry Tortuga’s or hanging out with the locals in the Old Historic Seaport area.
Regardless of your desires, Key West is a fun place to experience! I share my top places to visit there below!
Here are the Must-See and Do’s while in Key West!🌞
1. Southernmost Point (Don’t you want to say you visited the Southernmost Point of the USA?)
2. Pan Am Bar (Pan Am’s First Office and where the first ticket to Havana was sold)
3. Ernest Hemingway House (Hello! Six-toed cats + History)
4. Fort Zachary Taylor State Park (Great Beach and Good Snorkeling)
5. Old Historic Seaport (Fresh Conch and Harbor Views)
6. Dry Tortuga National Park (Need I say more? The snorkeling here is insane, the water is warm, and you can take a sea-plane to get here which gives unbelievable aerial views)
7. Cuban Coffee Queen (Great coffee and a good breakfast) + Wicked Lick (nitrogen ice cream) + A&B Lobster House (Well worth the cost) + Fisherman’s Cafe (the best ceviche on the island)
Key West will definitely give you that laid back kind of feeling. It’s filled with historical sites, live music, good good, great cocktails, and friendly people! If you’re planning a getaway to the Sunshine State, be sure to pack in some other fabulous places. If you’re ready to plan a trip to Key West, Florida, be sure to snag our guide to make the planning process as easy as it’ll be to lie on the beach when you get there.
Until we meet again on Island Time🌴
Also by Shona: How to Explore Florida Springs Like a Pro
About the Author
Shona is an RN, Adventurer, & Travel Blogger who loves exploring the great outdoors & finding off-the-beaten-path places! I love good food, coffee, & a great view! Whether its hiking in the mountains, kayaking, or snorkeling the sea, being nature is where I feel most alive! Follow her adventures on Instagram: @dirtroadshighheels and sign up for her emails right here.